Join Maryland Hillel and more than 100 Terps on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Israel this summer! You’ll hike mountains, taste new foods, explore the culture and religion, and create lasting friendships. View the complete sample itinerary.
If you have any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call us at 301-422-6200.
- Register today at freeisraeltrip.org/umd and create an account with a non-university (“.edu”) email address. Then, complete Part 1 by submitting your primary application and paying a $250 refundable deposit.
- Choose “Campus Trip” and select the Maryland Hillel trip.
- After you complete the registration, you’ll receive a confirmation email from Birthright Israel. Make sure to click the link to confirm your email address.
- Within 24–48 hours, you’ll receive an email from Hillel International with a link to Part 2 of the application. In this section, you’ll submit your health and medical info, make roommate requests, and submit a JPG of your passport.
- After you’ve completed your application, watch your inbox for an email to sign up for a 30-minute interview with a member of the Maryland Hillel team. This allows us to get to know you, determine your eligibility, and gives you the chance to ask questions.
- Maryland Hillel allows Birthright Israel applicants to sign up for the trip of their choice within the next two years! Pending eligibility, your $250 refundable deposit will secure your spot. If you’re applying for a future season, email email@example.com with your trip preference. (Note: You can skip Part 2 of the application.)
Sample Itinerary – Summer Trips
Land at Ben-Gurion Airport. Start the day exploring the streets of Jaffa and Tel Aviv. Explore the ancient ruins of Caesarea to marvel in one of King Herod’s greatest constructions. Ride along the main highway of Israel on the way to the Northern Galilee.
Hike down the slopes of Mount Arbel. Visit the mystical city of Tzfat and meet with a Kabbalistic artist. Jump into a raft and paddle in the Jordan River streams. Then, challenge yourself on the ropes course and enjoy a pizza feast.
Experience the places behind the headlines at Mt. Bental, an observation point and former Israeli bunker between the Israel-Syria border. Sip through an Israeli winery and learn how wine is made in such a special country. Meet with a renowned Israeli filmmaker.
Pack your bags because we’re going to Jerusalem to meet up with a group of Israeli peers who will join the bus for the next several days. Then, stop by Hebrew University for an incredible view and a joyous welcome ceremony. Tour the Old City and go inside the Western Wall Tunnels.
Visit and hear stories through a guided tour at Yad Vashem, Israel’s Holocaust remembrance museum. Start to prepare for Shabbat by strolling through Machane Yehuda Market to buy snacks and souvenirs. Then, bring in Shabbat with all of the Maryland Hillel buses with by trying a service of your choice and indulging in a festive dinner. Conclude the night with stories, singing, and yummy rugelach from the shuk!
Take part in different workshops run by Maryland Hillel staff and peers from your bus. After lunch, watch your friends become a Bar or Bat Mitzvah. Take a Shabbat nap or take a dip in the pool. Then, celebrate the conclusion of Shabbat with Havdalah before heading out to enjoy Jerusalem’s nightlife.
Pay respects to Israel’s fallen soldiers, prime ministers, and others who created and shaped the land of Israel. Learn about minorities in Israel by visiting with pioneering Bedouin-Israeli women. Get ready to spend the night in the Negev Desert and start our desert excursion on a camel as the sun sets. Feast on a traditional Bedouin dinner with homemade hummus, pita, and more! Take your connection with Israel and Judaism to a whole new level through a desert night hike of self-reflection.
Hike up the Roman Ramp and travel down the Snake Path to learn the tale that took place at Masada while exploring its beautiful views. Kick up your feet and go float in the Dead Sea!
Bring smiles to the faces of children who are receiving life-changing heart surgeries at Save a Child’s Heart. Get free time to eat and shop your way through the Carmel Market. Spend the afternoon relaxing in the sun on one of Tel Aviv’s beaches and take a dip in the Mediterranean Sea. Enjoy another night out with your group.
Travel back in time to the birth place of the modern Jewish state at Independence Hall. Learn about the triumphs and challenges of the start-up scene in Israel at the Taglit Innovation Center. Then, indulge in a farewell feast and head to the airport.
Birthright Israel is an innovative partnership between the people of Israel through the Government of Israel, private philanthropists through the Birthright Israel Foundation, and Jewish communities around the world (North American Jewish Federations, Keren Hayesod, and The Jewish Agency for Israel). This trip is a gift from Birthright Israel.